Officer or Shift Commander for initial documentation. Should the complaint be against the Duty Officer or Shift Commander, referral will be made to the Division Commander or higher authority. The duty officer may be reached at 240-313-2170. The Division Commander may be reached at 240-313-2165.
- Once the complaint is filed, a Complaint Against Personnel Form will be completed.
- The Captain of Investigative Services will review the complaint, decide if further investigation is necessary and if so, make assignment and forward the complaint to the Chief Deputy, who will log the complaint.
- Citizens registering complaints resulting in investigations will be asked to come to the department for a taped, transcribed, and signed statement. A refusal to do so, however, will not, in and of itself, terminate the investigation.
- Citizens registering complaints against the department or personnel will be periodically informed concerning the status of the investigation. Such notification will be general in nature, and may be verbal or in writing at the discretion of the investigator.
- Once the investigation is completed, the complainant will be informed of the final disposition of the complainant’s complaint and any discipline imposed as a result.
- A complaint against a law enforcement officer that alleges brutality in the execution of the law enforcement officer’s duties may not be investigated unless the complaint is SIGNED UNDER PENALTY OF PERJURY, by:
- (i) the aggrieved individual;
- (ii) a member of the aggrieved individual’s immediate family;
- (iii) an individual with firsthand knowledge obtained because the individual:
- 1. was present at and observed the alleged incident; OR
- 2. HAS AN UNALTERED VIDEO RECORDING OF THE INCIDENT THAT, TO THE BEST OF THE INDIVIDUAL’S KNOWLEDGE, IS UNALTERED; or
- (iv) the parent or guardian of the minor child, if the alleged incident involves a minor child.
- (2) Unless a complaint is filed within 366 days after the alleged brutality, an investigation that may lead to disciplinary action under this subtitle for brutality may not be initiated and an action may not be taken.
The Washington County Sheriff’s Office will hold an Administrative Hearing Board in reference to case numbers P-AI-17-04 and P-AI-17-05. The hearing will take place on Monday, October 30, 2017 at 0900 HRS, Circuit Court for Washington County, Court Room 133.