Ensure Detention Center Security and Public Safety through custody and control of incarcerated
offenders. Maintain order and discipline within the facility’s inmate population. Ensure the
inmates’ general health, safety, and welfare and promote rehabilitation. Maintain issued
uniforms and equipment. Display appropriate standards of conduct. Become knowledgeable of,
and be able to effectively implement policies and operational procedures as directed by superior
Examples of Work
- Conduct regular inspections of inmate housing areas to detect and correct problems
adversely affecting facility security, safety, sanitation, and inmate welfare.
- Monitor and directly supervise the daily activities of inmates, including group recreation, work details, meals, programming, and general movement through the facility.
- Enforce established Rules and Regulations governing the conduct of inmates.
- Conduct searches to control contraband and detect breaches of security.
- Respond to the legitimate needs of the inmates, providing reasonable counsel and assistance.
- Prepare reports describing unusual incidents and routine activities. Maintain log books used as official records.
- Participate in required training, both formal and on-the-job.
- Assist other correctional staff as necessary.
- Assist the public and related judicial agencies with legitimate business needs.
- Assist with the Intake and Release Processing of offenders.
- Promptly communicate matters of importance to superiors and other correctional staff.
- Perform other duties assigned by superior authority.
Eighteen years of age with a High School Diploma or GED.
Good physical condition with weight commensurate to height. 20/50
vision in both eyes correctable to 20/20.
High School Diploma or equivalent.
Possession of a current valid driver’s license.
No previous felony convictions.
Good oral and written
Ability to understand and follow oral and written instructions.
Ability to work effectively under stressful and hazardous conditions.